10 May 2009

IX. Spargelzeit

Here in lovely Vienna it is the height of asparagus season, and it is a gustatory delight to take part in it. After a service with the Anglicans, we went over to Café Prückel again; their Spargelcremesuppe is outstanding (and the Eiskaffee very good as well). It is now beyond question that Prückel is my favorite café in the city; if I could live anywhere here, I think it would have to be somewhere on the western side of the Third District (Landstraße), within a short walk of Christ Church, Stadtpark, and the café. And it seems that side of the Ring gets more sunlight, anyway; over on Schottenring it's too shady, at least in the afternoon. (There is one thing over there that grabs my attention every time I pass it, though: the Kleinbahn shop. If I ever have the money and an empty basement, I am going to have a miniature railroad in it, by gum.)

Freud walked around the Ring every day, it is said. There are certainly worse places to walk. I didn't quite make it all the way around today, but I did a respectable two-thirds, from Prückel around and up to the U4 stop at Schottenring. (You can see my route on that map, there.) It's getting so that I could actually see myself living in Vienna; I'm entirely uncertain how I'll be able to leave so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment